Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Pumpkin Gutting, Carving, and Eating?!!!



Last night was our "Annual Pumpkin Carving Night". For some reason, I have always loved to carve pumpkins. Because my mother hates doing this, I don't know where this love came from. I do not recall doing it very often growing up, but it has become a little tradition/obsession for me since I have left home. Jesse, like my mother, is not so fond of the pumpking carving himself. But, every year he kindly humors me and does it anyway. Anya wasn't so much into the carving, however, she did take her part in Home Evening by eating the pumpkin. It is always my job to gut and Jesse's to carve. This year, we tried something new: etching. As you can see from the picture, we successfully etched a shark! It only took about two hours, but we finally finished! I then wanted to try my hand at carving. I flipped the pumpkin around and did a spider and spider web. My spider is kind of pathetic, but I think that my web turned out pretty nice. I guess it's not so bad for drawing the pattern myself. I will work on my spiders for next year. All in all, I had a fun night with my pumpkin carving obsession. Thanks, Jess, for being a good sport!!!

8 comments:

Stefany said...

Oh I am so sad we didn't get to carve pumpkins together this year. It looks like you guys had a blast though. Tell Jess that next year I want to see another Michal Jackson Pumpkin :)

Tiffany said...

I love it! I don't remember carving pumpkins much when I was little, and I really enjoy it as well. If we think we missed out at all when we were little, it seems that's the stuff we like later on in life! :) Awesome pumpkins!

Michelle said...

Anya really will eat anything! Your pumpkins look great!

The Shields Family said...

I like to carve pumpkins but it seems to wear out my arm!! I am feeling great. Don't really feel pregnant. Thanks for asking!

Shannon said...

You've got some serious skills, Emily. You can carve pumpkins for us anytime. I side with Shelly--pumpkin guts are slimy. But you may have inspired me to join in on the fun!

Mary said...

I think those are the COOLEST pumpkins I have ever seen! Very creative. And she is so stinkin' cute!

Holly said...

You have some sweet pumpkin carving skills! I love the picture of Anya eating pumpkin:)

Josh and Alayna said...

The shark pumpkin is awesome! Good job guys. Cute little pumkin eater.